Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Returning to the City of Light

Half a month later and I'm just getting to updates on our weekend in Paris. Things have been getting crazier and busier here in Leuven. I'm reaching my final weeks with only a month and a half left to go before I board a plane heading home to the States. I'm making it a goal to be all caught up on my posts this week, so be on the lookout for a couple more blogs from yours truly.

So - Paris. We came because we wanted to participate in the Paris Color Run - so we just made a weekend trip out of it. The megabus costed less than 25 euros to get us there and back, so it was an easy 4 hour drive from Brussels. Upon getting off at the bus stop in Paris, my heart skipped a beat. I have been blessed to experience and see so many new places during my travels this semester, but there's just something about this city that makes me want to pack my bags up and move here. It feels like a second home to me - I feel comfortable exploring and navigating my way around, and there's always something new for me to see and fall in love with. 

After we checked into our hotel, we explored the Notre Dame area a bit. I got a scoop of my favorite ice cream, Bertillion and we walked around for awhile, stumbling into Shakespeare and Company and eating dinner in a cute little restaurant for less than 10 euros. The sunset was stunning that evening - and I just couldn't stop smiling the entire time. 



Saturday we did so, SO much. We started our morning off at the Champs-Elysees and l'Arc de Triomphe (where I almost convinced myself I needed to spend 20 euros on macaroons from Laduree). I ended up buying a new jacket from the H&M there which was so fun. After snapping some pics, we made our way toward the Eiffel Tower. Call it touristy, call it cliche, but the Eiffel Tower is my favorite thing about Paris. It's what I dreamed about seeing for the longest time . . . so when I finally did back in high school, it only ignited my passion for traveling the world. Every time I get to see it again, I am immediately reminded of how much more I want to see and explore on our beautiful planet. 
Paid a visit to my pal Louis Vuitton

From Paris with Love. 
After grabbing a sandwich, we got caught in the rain making our way toward the Louvre. It literally downpoured for the entire walk there, so we got a little soaked. Once we arrived though, it was completely sunny again, so I couldn't complain too much. I was so happy because I ended up getting into the Louvre for free. Because we have Belgian residence cards, we're considered "members of the EU" so I didn't have to pay a dime to see the Mona Lisa! Of course we took the obligatory selfie and explored a bit more. 



From here, we spent the night sitting on the steps of the Sacre Coeur and watched the sunset over the city. It was magical. We were off to bed early as our last morning was spent waking up bright and early.

Okay. So if you ever get the chance to do to the Color Run in Paris or anywhere else amazing in Europe - do it! It was such an amazing experience (and not too expensive!) It works just like any other color run, except I was motivated to finish thanks to beautiful views along the Seine and the final celebration at the Trocadero in front of the Eiffel Tower. Words can't describe how awesome it was. It made me so thankful for these wonderful experiences I have had. 




After dancing and getting completely covered in powder, it was time to say goodbye to the City of Light. I'm already dreaming up my next adventure, and cannot wait to return to my favorite place in the world one day. 

1 comment :

  1. Your passion for Paris, as well as for the many places you have visited, makes you a world citizen, Mallory. Goodness knows, we need people who care about our planet and the wonderful diversity it offers. You are one of those!

    ReplyDelete