Friday, March 25, 2016

A Surreal Moment

The purpose of this blog is ultimately for me to capture my adventures and moments in time abroad. Because of the Brussels Attacks this previous week, I wanted to dedicate a post not only to the victims of the attacks, but to document the experiences and emotions I was feeling at the time.

On Tuesday, March 22nd, I woke up at approximately 9:40 a.m. to my roommate sharing a text message from our Belgian friend who said 2 bombs just went off at Brussels International Airport. Immediately after receiving this information, I sat up in bed and logged online to start reading news reports informing us about what happened. At this point, we still hadn't discovered it was a terrorist attack, although I had a pretty positive feeling it was. We watched videos being posted of people running away from the building, shattered glass, dust flying everywhere. All of this was happening a 20 minute train ride away. At the initial moment, I didn't know what to think. Should I call my mom? Should I contact my school? It was 4 a.m. back home, and I didn't want to freak my family out with a text message. After a couple minutes, I decided contacting them would ultimately be best.

After getting dressed, I headed downstairs where all my housemates and I gathered around the TV to watch reports coming in from CNN. It's difficult for me to put into words how surreal of a time this was. Knowing all of this was happening so close by was not comforting, and hearing confirmations that it was a terrorist attack did not make me feel any better. Everyone around me was keeping fairly quiet, and it was at this point that I started receiving text messages back from my mom. Props to her, because she handled the situation extremely well. Being a parent, I could understand the extreme concerns one will have when your child is halfway across the world, but we talked for awhile and I assured her that I was safe in Leuven.

From here, we ended up going to our library to study and get some work done with a couple of Belgians. I couldn't get too much accomplished though, due to friends and family that were starting to contact me to make sure I was okay. I am extremely thankful to have been in Leuven when these attacks occurred - and for those who checked in with me. Not only did I first fly into Brussels International Airport upon arriving in Belgium, but I have visited the city multiple times, and I can't imagine being there when these attacks took place.

One of the girls in my house ended up being at the airport when the bombings took place that morning, and thankfully came out unharmed. I had the chance to talk to her the next day, and she told me all about her experience. She explained that at the time of the bombings, she was already past security, so she wasn't in the check-in area when they occurred. At the time, she was about to grab food before heading down to her terminal, when she said it sounded like there was construction happening (and that's what many of those around her first believed). She said the ceiling shook at first and then things started falling from above along with a lot of dust. At the time, she didn't know what to do and started crying, and described that many of those around her were fairly calm. They eventually evacuated everyone outside on the airport runway, where they had shuttles taking people out of the area. I can't imagine how traumatizing that experience must have been, and everyone in my house is so grateful she made it home safely.

I think one of the strangest things I observed that day was how normal things were operating in my town. Besides the fact that no trains were coming in or out of Brussels, restaurants operated normally, my school still had class (although my professors cancelled theirs), and people were going about their daily lives. It felt weird for me to be doing the same thing when 20 minutes away this tragedy was taking place.

The next day, a moment of silence was held at noon for the victims of the attacks all across Belgium, including in the big square of Leuven. While I couldn't attend myself, I was able to see the beautiful candles, flowers, and art that was displayed later on in remembrance of those who lost their lives. If there is anything positive I can take out of this difficult time, it is getting to play a role in the solidarity and unity this country has. It was a powerful and emotional moment to see how my town came together.

I've had a couple ask if I'm coming home or what my plans are next. Honestly -- I didn't even think about coming home even after these attacks happened. I love this place too much, and I truly feel safe in the city where I am located. If anything, these events were a sad reminder that I need to remain aware and smart about what I do going into the future. Studying abroad has been a dream of mine for so long, and I can't imagine giving this up. To my friends and family - just know that I am being as safe and precautionary as possible (and I will be home before you know it!)

Keep this country and the people in your thoughts and prayers. My heart goes out to those affected by these horrific bombings, and I can only hope for a day when peace will prevail over everyone.




1 comment :

  1. We are the sum total of all the moments in our lives. The more diverse they are, the more we grow in understanding our world and those in it. You are acquiring life-important minutes, Mallory.

    ReplyDelete