Sunday, March 20, 2016

There's Nothing Like a Sunday Stroll

Week 7 has come and gone. I am almost done with month 2 of study abroad and each day I am discovering little parts of Leuven I never knew existed before. I love my free days where I can just wander and explore the town. Today, I ventured out to Abdij Van Park (Dutch for "Parc Abbey"), just outside the city in the Belgian countryside. It was an easy and quick 20 minute walk from my house, and boy was I so thankful I decided to spend a Sunday stroll here.

The parc was built on the grounds of an abbey that was established in 1080. After doing some research on the area, I discovered that it went through many changes and developments - the church standing there today wasn't installed until the 18th century. Back home in Indiana, I love visiting Ritchey Woods - a little nature preserve about a 10 minute drive from my house. I think Abdij Van Park will definitely take it's place until I return in the summer. 

I had no destination set in stone, so I spent much of my time exploring different paths. Everyone was walking their dogs, spending time with family, riding bikes, or going on runs. It's days like today that make me so thankful I chose to study in Leuven. Sure it would've been great to study in the South of France or in the U.K. - somewhere where you always have the hustle and bustle of the city, but Leuven just makes this experience so much more authentic. 







I feel like I'm truly living life like a European. I can experience both the peaceful moments and crazy moments. I never have to take a metro to get anywhere and yet I can still explore all parts of the city. If I want to take part in the nightlife, I walk 10 minutes down the street. If I want to go for a run in the countryside, I turn right out my door and take the sidewalk out of the city. This place just feels like home. Knowing all of these special moments I've had with Leuven is going to make it that much harder to leave come June.  

Yesterday also included a visit to a market that we came across close to the town hall. It was so cute and full of fresh produce and flowers to purchase as well. This week I'm trying something new and making avocado chicken bombs for dinner, so I ended up buying 2 avocados as well as a fresh bouquet of tulips from a stand that brings in flowers from the Netherlands to brighten up the room.  





Besides this, classes are interesting. We made a trip to Antwerp on Friday because our art class was supposed to meet at the Rubenshuis for a field trip. We waited an hour for our professor to show up (which he never did) - so a few classmates and I ended up just exploring the museum ourselves. I'm really glad we did, lots of neat paintings and architecture to discover. 

Below I'm attaching a few random pictures from the week. This is our last week before our 2 week Easter Break. During our vacation, we are venturing to Spain and Ireland - so I will be sure to keep the blog updated with the new adventures that come!

J-House Hotel Party - The residence I'm living in does one of these each semester where each room prepares a snack/drink/game to play so everyone can see each others rooms and get to know one another.
Selfie Stick always coming in clutch.

Until next time.....! 

2 comments :

  1. Love your photos, Mallory. Some are clever. Some are arty. All are Mallory-made. 📷
    Love, Aunt Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelter yourself. Take no known risks. Be safe! Love, aunt Chris and Uncle Charlie

    ReplyDelete