Sunday, June 12, 2016

My Last Adventure - Amsterdam

My oh my how it's been quite some time. Like I referenced in my last post, finals are insane here. Insanely hard. The past month I've been here has been mostly spent studying. BUT, we did take a little break for a day trip to Amsterdam a couple weeks ago. Only a 2 1/2 hour bus ride away, we said why not? I wanted to make it up there even if it was at least for a day.

There was a worker's strike with the train system at the time we went, so Izzy and I had to wake up extremely early to catch a one hour bus ride from Leuven to Brussels just so we could catch our bus that would take us to Amsterdam. We had smooth travels up to the Netherlands, and got to Amsterdam around 10:45 am.


When shall I move in? 


Our first stop? The Pancake Bakery for brunch. This is one of the most famous restaurant/bakeries in Amsterdam, known for their dutch pancakes. I tried the dutch apple pancake and was extremely pleased with my choice. We did have to wait about a half hour to be seated because it's that popular, but I'm so happy we went.



After, I was determined to get a photo at the Fault In Our Stars Bench from the movie. After getting a bit misguided, I ended up finding it, only to find people wanting to do the same thing we were. The bench was so cool, with tons of people who had signed it and quotes from the book. How cool that must be for John Green?!



We then made our way toward the Rijiksmusem where we took some photos in front of the infamous "I Amsterdam" sign. But before hand, we sat along the canals for a bit which was so nice. When they say Amsterdam is truly a bike-friendly city, they mean it. It's almost a pain to get around there by car, because it's so accommodating for cyclers.


M for Mal! 
A bit tired, we took a break and grabbed a Starbucks and walked along the Floating Flower Market. Tons of vendors have stands that literally float on one of the canals -- although I was a bit disappointed as much of it was touristy. I was hoping to find some of those beautiful Dutch tulips!

Lastly, we made our way back to the train station, cutting through the Red Light District on the way. Can't say it's a place I need to go back to. Because the Netherlands legalized marijuana, it was definitely prevalent throughout the neighborhood. You could smell it all around you, and I was quick and ready to leave as soon as we entered.

How bittersweet I was that this was my last adventure to a new country. Be on the lookout for a recap post as I am heading home a week from TODAY! 3 finals and a little packing stands between me and my ride home to America. I've got lots to reflect on - and I can't wait to do so as I'm traveling home.

1 comment :

  1. We did Amsterdam too and even the Red Light District. When I tried taking a picture of one of the "ladies," she reamed me out!

    Probably a little late for tulips in June. You'll have to go back in the spring sometime.

    You have collected so many memories, Mallory, during your semester abroad. You are one very lucky young woman. I was in my 30s, I think, before I did Europe! See you soon! Love, Aunt Chris

    ReplyDelete